Sunday, June 04, 2006

PICKIN' COTTON

The Touch...
The Feel...
Of Cotton

It's the fabric of our lives
Ya'll know Fruit of the Loom ain't neva lied
400 years of tearing children from parents and husbands from wives

And though we've come a ways from bloodied hands and bent backs
We still pickin cotton...just now off of racks
Strugglin for paper but charging plastic to the max
Just so we can have the latest Ecko and BabyPhat

Rims and TVs in the head rests
Jordans and Nike Forces
We'll do just about anything for a few cents
Better learn to share love like we share fashion sense

ATTENTION LADIES & GENTLEMEN
Fashion is NOT a community crisis
Yet we stay worried about how shiny our ice is
In the meantime we got babies...in the street...lifeless
"Oh My GOD girl look at them new tims..."

Louis Vutton and Coach did not pave the way
More concerned with name brands than dying of AIDS
Have the opportunity to be more that share croppers and maids
And yet the market still manages to have our minds enslaved

Highest buying power in the USA
38% of people on governement aid
WAIT...

$700 billion dollars and in the poor house
Seem to me those type of mathematics don't work out
Our biggest concern being social clout - that's not what life is really about

Pickin cotton is not an historical phenomenon
It happens daily when your biggest worry is what you have on

Don't get me wrong...
I'm not saying don't look fly
I'm just saying there's more to picking cotton than meets the eye

The Touch...
The Feel...
Of Cotton
It's the fabric of our lives...

Spoken Word Poem by: FloBatim(me)

*~FloBatim The HipHop Nerd: Over & Out~*

2 Comments:

Blogger Tonya said...

Wow- I have to admit that I do not listen to much hiphop, but I have heard from many people how powerful messages are spread through this music. This song speaks volumes and I am so glad that you posted this to your blog. When I get home, I am going to pass this on and I hope to get people to think a little more about cotton...

6:36 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wow, you really have a lot of talent. I'd love to hear your perform it live. I look forward to hearing (reading) more from you.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home