Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Why the Arts?

Many people ask me why my focus in social justice is on the arts in the United States. Well, first I see art all around me. Everyone is affected/effected by the arts in some way. It's all around people, 24/7/365. You can't escape it. It's something all people relate to, though it may no be the same type of art. People are creative beings, and they like seeing what others have created as well. Another reason is that I am an artist, and I feel that there is great power in doing what I do, and what better way to use that power than promoting societal changes? I know many artists that feel the same way.

I focus on the United States, because I'm a firm believer that we should take care of home first. How are "you" going to get someone elses house in order when "your" house isn't in order. That's like a person telling their friend what to do in a relationship when they're not in and have never been in a healthy one...does that make sense? Nope, sure doesn't. Prime example: The United States - how are we going to rebuild Iraq when we can't even manage to get New Orleans together? Just thought I'd throw that one out there...

Flobatim the HipHop Nerd: Over & Out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home