Saturday, July 08, 2006

Digital Divide?

Ok so in class we have had many discussions about the digital divide on a national and international level. Again my focus in mainly on the U.S.

Here's my issue. I do realize that technology provides a lot of "missed" opportunities for people (i.e. signing up for programs they may qualify for, etc.) BUT I still say that the last thing on the minds of people in poverty, or people who are hungry, etc. is being on the internet. Their focus is on getting their basic needs met, and surviving.

I feel like we need to focus on issues that seem more pressing. Access to technology is an important issues, please don't misunderstand, but I feel like in this country and around the world that we always try to cure symptoms and neglect the virus or disease.

The digital divide is a symptom of racism and classism/poverty. We need to attack those issues directly, and when we attack those issues other problems (such as the digital divide) will be effected.

Just my opinion - write a comment, tell me yours

Flobatim - the HipHop Nerd: Over & Out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home